The Numbers that Measure Sustainable Growth
Choosing the right location to locate or expand your business can be a daunting task. We’ve taken the many factors that define the health, viability, and potential of our county and assembled a set of Key Economic Indicators to provide measurable insight about the people, infrastructure, and opportunities in Greene County, and provide year over year comparisons.
- Age Demographics
- Natural Increase
- Net Migration
- Percentage of Population Growth
- Students K-12
- In-County Labor Force
- Total Employment
- In-County Employment
- Unemployment Rate
- Number of Unemployed Residents
- In-County Jobs by Sector
- Median Wage for All Sectors
- Total Wages per Sector
- Average Employee Wages by Sector
- Open Public Assistance Cases
- Median Home Value
- Number of Houses Sold
- Available Commercial Properties
- Shovel-Ready Locations
Greene County Residents in 2018 totaled 47,470 versus 47,517 in 2017.
- Natural Increase in 2018 was -147 versus -156 in 2017 for a change of 5.77%.
- Net Migration in 2018 was 104 versus 25 in 2017 for a change of 316%.
|Greene County Residents||47,517||47,470||<0.1%|
|Under 18 yrs.||18 - 62 yrs.||Over 62 yrs.|
|Residents by Age Group||17.4%||58.9%||23.7%|
|Student Population K -12||5,928||7,473|
The total workforce in Greene County in 2018 was 21,100 versus 21,200 in 2017.
- Total Employment in 2018 was 20,200 versus 20,100 in 2017.
- In-County Employment in 2018 was 15,500 versus 15,500 in 2017.
- The Unemployment Rate in 2018 was 4.3% versus 5.0% in 2017.
- Total Unemployed in 2018 was 900 versus 1,100 in 2017.
In 2018, 85.8% of the Greene County Workforce had at least a High School Diploma and 20.1% earned a Bachelors Degree or higher.
|% of In-County Jobs|
|Hospitality & Lodging||11.6%|
|Professional & Technical Services||3.7%|
|Healthcare & Related Services||8.6%|
|School Systems & Local Governments||18.2%|
|State Agencies & Prisons||10.9%|
|Utilities & Information||2.1%|
|All Other Businesses||3.4%|
In 2018, Greene County had 382 open public assistance cases versus 393 in 2017 (a change of -2.8%).
Income & Industries
In 2018, the Median Wage for Greene County workers was $41,043 versus $40,457 in 2017.
Below is a comprehensive breakdown of Greene County Employer Categories and their associated Average Annual Wage.
|Hospitality & Lodging||$17,517|
|Professional & Technical Services||$45,971|
|Healthcare & Related Services||$35,726|
|School Systems & Local Governments||$41,750|
|State Agencies & Prisons||$68,906|
|Utilities & Information||$70,386|
|All Other Businesses||$26,803|
Real Estate & Property Taxes
- 786 homes were sold in 2018 versus 772 in 2017.
- The Median Home Value in 2018 was $182,000, versus $173,000 in 2017.
- Property Taxes in 2018 were $4.58 per $1,000 of assessed value versus $4.66 in 2017
|Annual Homes Sold||772||786|
|Median Property Value||$173,000||$182,000|
|Property Taxes per $1,000||$4.66||$4.58|