The Newbury Ironworks were founded on South River Street by James G. Newbury, and continued by his son Arthur Newbury until the early 1930s. The building was sold in 1944.
The State Wire and Cable Corporation started producing wire cable in the old Newbury Foundry building in 1945. The business produced insulated, braided and armored cable, shipping out wholesale daily by both truck and train. Their specialty was insulated low voltage control cable – including those used in airplanes – and bell wire.
State Wire closed in 1978, leaving the buildings abandoned.